Access to Lahaul & Spiti district by road can be made from two different locations one is Sumdo through(Kinnaur District) for entry into Spiti valley and another is through Manali (Kullu District) for entry into Lahaul valley. The nearest airport is Bhutar Airport (Kullu) & nearest rail heads are Jogindernagar, Shimla & Chandigarh.
Blue Line (Route from Shimla to Kaza [Spiti Block]
- 412 Kms (About 20 Hours journey excluding one night halt).This road is almost all weather road upto Kaza.
Red Line (Route from Shimla to Keylong [Lahaul Block])
- 330 Kms (About 14 Hours journey). This route is through newly inaugurated Atal tunnel rohtang and will remains operational throughout the year.
- 375 Kms ( About 18 hours journey). This route get cutoff because of heavy snow fall from October to April(approx).
Green Line (Route from Keylong to Kaza i.e. Lahaul block to Spiti block) 185 Kms (About 6 Hours journey).
- This road closes during winters for more than 9 months due to closure of Kunzam Pass & heavy snowfall w.e.f. Oct/Nov-June/July.
- Kaza (via) Rohtang Pass – Batal – Kunzam Pass (200 km)